Budget Vote today


So I'm new to California. And I'm new to the electoral process here. So maybe that explains my confusion.

Today, Californians are voting on 6 budget proposals (Propositions 1A-F). Basically, the state government is a mess -- or should I say, it is in a mess. Facing enormous budget deficits, the legislators that we pay to govern couldn't fix it. So they have come up with proposals that must be endorsed by the voters. I guess this is a good education in California's direct democracy!

Most of these proposals rest on robbing Peter to pay Paul or spending future lottery proceeds now and other neat ideas. I've read editorials in the Fresno Bee and LA Times. I've looked at blog & Facebook postings discussing the issues. Most people seem to be saying, "We're hosed, but we have no choice. Vote yes on most of these, especially on 1A."

So what do I do?

Comments

Thurman8er said…
Those of us in education have basically come to the following conclusion. Voting Yes would be very bad for us. Voting No, however, would be very bad for us.

Suffice it to say that I am currently hoarding paper for the copy machine.

Popular posts from this blog

Love It or List It: We Sold Our Church Building

Galatians 4:1-7 & The Confusing Apostle Paul

Still Freezing in Abilene