Too Much Reading & Writing

I am not a scholar. At least not in the technical sense. I don't know if I could survive in the world of academia where research and publishing are so important. Sorry to disappoint you if you view me as such.

Nevertheless, my last few weeks have been consumed by academic work. I am working toward a doctoral degree from Abilene Christian University, and I have two weeks of classes there in June. Pre-course assignments must be done by June 8. My classes are on spiritual formation (week 1) with David Wray & Jeff Childers; and preaching (week 2) with David Fleer. Figure I ought to learn how to preach now that I am doing it full-time.

So in addition to my "9 to 5 job," I've had to do research for a couple papers, read a stack of books and write a couple reflection pieces. It's one thing to write from the heart. It's quite another to be forced to write things that don't really connect with you at the moment. I know it's a good exercise, but I'm tired of it.

Oh well, it will all be done a few days. Of course, then I will have the post-course assignments hanging over my head. Fun, fun. But maybe I'll have more energy once I make it through this stretch of work.

It is forcing me to ask lots of questions about my new ministry setting. I'm kind of a curious soul by nature, but my professors are forcing me to dig deep and analyze things at the College Church on multiple levels. Considering the fact that SO MANY people are helping us understand the Valley & the College Church, I hope that this will all result in an accelerated learning curve for me.

God has great things in store, and I'm anxious to get a glimpse of what that will be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love It or List It: We Sold Our Church Building

Galatians 4:1-7 & The Confusing Apostle Paul

Still Freezing in Abilene