9/11 Remembrances

I vividly recall what I was doing September 11, 2001. We had a '92 VW Passat that needed some kind of repair. I drove it early that morning down to Clarksburg, WV from Morgantown where we were living at the time. I was listening to NPR on the way home when they broke in live to say that a plane had crashed into one of the World Trade Center buildings. I remember with horror as they reported the second plane and then reports of a plane crashing into the Pentagon.

I went straight home instead of to my office to watch the TV reports. There were reports of another plane going down in Pennsylvania, only a few miles from where we lived.

No one knew what was happening. Could this be the start of some major attack? Could this only be the first wave of many coordinated attacks? There were rumors and strange reports all day. Panic struck every town, even the relatively safe haven of Morgantown.

Julie and Jacob were at our church's Mother's Day-Our program. Jericho was in kindergarten. I just wanted to go straight to school to get Jericho & have Julie & Jacob come home so we could all be in one place together. It was so scary.

I'll never forget that day. I'll never forget the stories I later heard. Never forget seeing Ground Zero a year or so later. Never forget the stories I heard from New Yorkers who lived through the horror. Never forget visiting the spot near Shanksville, PA where flight 93 went down.

I'll also never forget the feeling of solidarity we had at that moment with people around the world. Though some revealed their bigotry and hatred by blaming people who had nothing to do with the attacks, I was amazed at how the world stood together at that moment. Adversity is never fun. But it can bring out the best in people. I'll never forget.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love It or List It: We Sold Our Church Building

Galatians 4:1-7 & The Confusing Apostle Paul

Still Freezing in Abilene