Flags at Half Mast

I'm not an expert in flag etiquette, but I know a few things about how to handle the US flag. Some things were drilled into my head in junior high by an assistant principal who was a former marine. He wouldn't hesitate to reprimand any student who didn't show proper respect. I remember a few of us were talking during part of the national anthem once. Let's just say it didn't happen again!

One thing I know about the flag is that it is only to be lowered to half staff at the direction of the president. No one can decide to lower their US flag as a sign of mourning or respect unless the sitting president declares a day or mourning and orders flags be lowered. This typically only happens in times of horrific tragedy (i.e., 9-11) or when heads of state or their spouses die.

I am constantly amazed at how many people don't seem to know this protocol. Just yesterday, for example, the Woodward Park library had their flag lowered. I can only assume it was a sign of respect for the police officer who was buried yesterday. This might seem like a nice gesture, but it is against flag etiquette. Not even the governor can order the US flag lowered. He can have the state flag flown at half staff, but only the president has the right to lower the national flag.

Our national flag is an incredibly powerful symbol, more so than in most countries. "I pledge allegiance to the flag..." This being the case, maybe more people could take time to learn how to handle the flag. It would at least make this blogger happy. And it would certainly make my old assistant principal happy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love It or List It: We Sold Our Church Building

Galatians 4:1-7 & The Confusing Apostle Paul

Still Freezing in Abilene