Why Do We Do Short-Term Mission Trips?

Picture from a Navigators short-term mission trip
Changes in our world have dramatically altered the landscape of international missions. Those who embarked on missionary trips used to be people who packed up their entire lives and moved across the world. Their contact with their home cultures was limited by the slow pace of ships carrying the mail.

The world is not the same anymore. The ease and speed of travel coupled with the relative wealth of Western Christians have allowed many more individuals to experience cross-cultural church work. Most of these are short-term workers who spend mere days or weeks on the mission field. The reality of short-term mission trips affects the way we think of the global missionary enterprise. I believe that short-term trips are here to stay.

So given this reality, why should we embark on short-term trips? What theological pillars should support short-term missions? And what should be their realistic goals?

In the next couple posts, I want to explore this topic. I write as a person who has experienced all sides of short-term missions. I have organized short-term trips. I have participated in them. When I was a missionary, I was also on the receiving end of short-term trips. I have worked with groups of college students. I have participated with groups composed primarily of teens. And I've experienced groups of older church members--some from a work's partnering church, others from churches that simply wanted to send their people to interesting places. Perhaps my thoughts may be helpful for those who wish to participate in, organize or receive short-term mission groups.

Comments

stationsix said…
Jason, Great questions. I actually wrote my masters thesis on short-term missions for long-term transformation. I can email it to you if it would be helpful. Obviously, it's too long to post here.
You can check out my facebook page which also has helpful links to articles that deal with these questions.
www.facebook.com/simplymissions
Peace,
joe

Popular posts from this blog

Love It or List It: We Sold Our Church Building

Galatians 4:1-7 & The Confusing Apostle Paul

Still Freezing in Abilene