In Memoriam of Larry Locke, My Father

My dad Larry Locke took his final breath this afternoon. He was in the comfort of his own home in Lebanon, Tennessee. It was as beautiful a spring day as Middle Tennessee can provide. Lovely breeze. Chirping birds. Blooming flowers. But Dad had been unable for weeks to notice the glory of God's created world. He was ready to go and be with the Lord forever.

Over the last 2+ years, Larry had struggled with dementia and previously undiagnosed depression. A lifelong runner, he had never spent a night in the hospital prior to this sickness. The loss of his vitality was a blow to all who knew and loved him. While his first hospitalization returned him to a level close to his old self, subsequent declines and hospital stays left him a shadow of the man we knew. His time for this life would number 76 years.

Larry Locke was born in 1942 in Shelbyville, Tennessee. His father, W. H. Locke, owned a small diner. His mother, Pansy Worley Locke, had done office work but as a mother was mostly gripped by anxiety and fear. Pansy's poor mental health likely contributed heavily to W. H. becoming a workaholic who drank and smoke heavily. He died of a massive stroke when my father was just 17.

Several men in the local Church of Christ took an interest in helping my father. They steered him to David Lipscomb College where he enrolled in the fall of 1960. In daily chapel he met my mother, Carol Waller, a preacher's daughter from Ohio. They married in August, 1963.

Larry wanted to be a preacher. His first church was the Bethlehem Church of Christ at Tuckers Crossroad near Lebanon. It was a Sunday-only job and helped put him through college. After they married, he and my mom went on to minister for churches in Burns, TN; Delphi, IN; Louisville, OH; Morgantown, WV; and for the College Hills (Street) Church of Christ in Lebanon since 1977.

The dominant ministry model when he started preaching was to learn "the truth" as professed by our movement and to communicate it as well as possible. There was a triumphalist spirit at work in our churches back then. The great Ira North, one of the most prominent preachers of that era, would join campaigners who were knocking doors or evangelizing. His plane would touch down while all the campaigners came to greet him at the airport, rolling out the red carpet. Many church leaders had some sense that ours was a manifest destiny to plant and build great churches everywhere.

My dad certainly bought into the importance of communication. He went on to get his MA and then PhD in communication from the University of Akron and Kent State University, respectively. He studied the rhetorical skill of Richard Nixon and learned how to draw his listeners in. He became a master at telling the personal stories of people within his church, a style that focused his energy on strengthening his church rather than on opening doors to become a traveling preacher.

Somewhere along the way, however, Larry started to question the focus on excellence and "right doctrine" that dominated church thinking. Things likely came together for him in the 1970s. One stimulus was the abuse his father-in-law took for a public stance that the sin of divorce and remarriage was a forgivable sin, just like any other. Another key factor was the healing ministry they felt from a Methodist chaplain, Stacy Groscup (a Methodist!), who prayed over my folks while their 3-year-old child lay near death in the ICU at West Virginia University Hospital.

Perhaps the capstone element was my dad's "accidental" involvement with Alcoholics Anonymous. When our family moved to Lebanon, Tennessee in 1977, a couple members of the church were recovering alcoholics. They needed a preacher to pray with a dying alcoholic, and my dad went to the bedside at their request. This jump-started a 40-year ministry focused on reaching those who experienced marginalization in various ways and turned to drugs and alcohol for escape. Ministry to the hurting and recovering blossomed in that 200-year-old church. His congregation became known as a place that welcomed drunks, divorced people, recovering legalists, single moms, and othersalongside many who were wealthy or middle-class and seemingly successful.

It's not a stretch to say that Larry became the pastor for Lebanon, Tennessee for a season. He must have conducted thousands of funeralsnot just for church folk but for people from all walks of life in the community.

One of his last, major initiatives was to work toward racial unity. The legacy of slavery and segregation still looms large, and barriers exist to this day that block full integration. Together with the much smaller African-American Churches of Christ in Lebanon, they began an annual day of unityhosted in rotation by each of the churches.

These might seem small accomplishments, but they illuminate a legacy of working to bring real change into the lives of individuals and communities. Larry Locke never wanted the red carpet rolled out for him. He bemoaned the fact that too many churches and Christians went wild over great speakers just as previous generations venerated those who could defend our creedless creed better than all others. The great loss for our churches, he believed, was that folks were often missing out on the real power of the gospel to transform lives in simple yet profound ways.

There are stories to be told. Like how he was trapped on the Kent State campus the day of the tragic shootings but was rescued by a professor who helped him and other PhD students slip out before the violence. Like how he sent a screeching, shanked golf shot directly into the shin of his father-in-law. Like how he was accosted at a hotel in Port Harcourt, Nigeria by a prostitute who wouldn't stop knocking on his door. Like how he got lost jogging in Prague in 1990 and then ran the Prague Marathon a decade later. Like how he couldn't have carried a tune to save his life.

And then there are those who would wish to share their testimonials. Perhaps some will in the comments below. There will be time for all those stories and more in the life to come.

In the meantime, wouldn't it be ironic if the red carpet he never wanted was being rolled out for him now?

Thank you, Lord, for blessing us with this life well lived. Comfort those of us who will miss him. May his legacy of missional living carry on in our lives and in our churches. Amen.

Comments

Unknown said…
Our hearts are heavy. I have never known a couple that I respected and loved more than your parents. God blessed me by letting me work alongside them, learn from them, and experience a lifetime of sacrifice that they gave. I will treasure the twenty nine years of memories. My prayers are with you and your family, Jason. Bob and Connie Prosser
Unknown said…
Larry Locke was my minister, my friend and my straight man at the church Christmas parties. He was always there for me and my family. He met with Kim and I when we were trying to figure out our future together in 1988. Larry convinced me I wasn't going to hell because I was Baptist, he said (with that smirkie smile) I was headed that way because of the way I was living...I joined the College Street Church the next week. He served the Lebanon community quietly. He enjoyed serving on local nonprofit boards and was a former member of the Kiwanis Club of Lebanon. That's where I first met Larry. We ate lunch across from each other most every Monday for several years. You get to know a guy pretty well when you share a meal pretty consistently. I dropped in to see him a few weeks ago. We chatted, we prayed, and he said "love you guys" as he pumped his fist for me. I love Larry Locke. He will be missed.
Unknown said…
Well done, Faithful Man of God, enter into the joy of the Lord! You fought the fight, finished the race and kept the faith. I have missed you through your illness, I will miss you for the rest of this journey, but I will see you again. I love my friend! Rest easy, your work here is done, but your legacy lives on. Thank You for ... Everything!
Vicki said…
Bro. Larry was my father's buddy that he met at AA meetings. Bro. Larry would say , "I'm Larry, a sinner".
When my mother passed away all the Baptist ministers were in Gatlinburg at a conference. My father's best friend said what about that preacher that comes to AA? We called Bro. Larry and he agreed. In 3 days Bro.Larry managed to learn and know my mother and family. It was the first time I heard a funeral called a celebration of life. It was beautiful! Then he wowed us by returning the money gift for the service!
Bro.Larry was used by God to change College Street/Hills Church and the community of Lebanon in to being living sermons of the Bible and reflections if Christ.
When my father passed away and I moved back home after being encouraged by many there were only 2 men other than my friends who came to my home to welcome me- Jimmy McDowell and Bro.Larry Locke. One of my friends was a member at College Hills-they shared his taped sermons with and would come get me to attend Sunday and Wednesday. April 4th 2003 I became a member. There is no doubt in my mind that my soul and life was forever changed and saved. There are just not enough words. Phils.4
Lyndsey said…
I have vivid memories of walking down the hallways to Mr Larrys sweet smile. He will be missed but celebrating his wonderful godly life.
Unknown said…
I first was introduced to Bro. Larry when he was on the board of Brooks House. I was a resident there and when I started attending College Hills he would make a point every Sunday to say hello, ask how I was doing, and give me encouraging words. He will surely be missed
Kathryn Davis said…
Our family will forever be touched by the way your family and our College Street family surrounded my mom and us kids when our dad passed away. Mr. Larry was in the car when my mom told us the bad news, and both he and Mrs. Carol made sure she was not alone during that whole process. College Street helped us in so many of our needs during those years--everything from helping us move to teaching my brother and I how to mow a yard to even allowing me to "help" Mrs. Carol during the summer so I could earn money to go to Europe with my class from FCS. That generous legacy was left deep in my heart, and our family will be forever grateful and blessed because of it. Your dad left a true legacy with his leadership and his heart to love others with the love of Christ. Thank you for sharing him with us. Blessings to you all.
Unknown said…


I think there are very few people who have not been visited by Bro. Larry, during their stay in the hospital. He was the best minister to his church family, and multitudes of others throughout the community.
Rick Gibson said…
Wonderful story of a man who saw people as Jesus saw people. Blessings to you, Jason.
Vanessa said…
I’m so blessed to have known Larry. He was one of the kindest men I’ve ever known, with a way about him that made people feel valued and loved.
Bruce Thweatt said…
Well said, Jason. Larry led not just a congregation, but a whole community into seeing how the love of Christ compels us to love one another. It was a blessing to serve with him. His quiet persistence transformed a congregation.
Jamie said…
You're dad was such a wonderful man and I'm glad to have known him. I remember my freshman year of college I was obsessed with the 60's and events of that era. I wrote a paper on the Kent State shooting, and your dad was good enough to sit down with me for an interview about that event. He will be missed. My heart is with you and your family.
Unknown said…
One of my first times where I knew how our community felt about Larry was when I worked at McFarland Hospital in 1985 I remember hearing nurses say that if you need a minister for a patient call Mr. Locke he will help anyone,it doesn't matter to him if you're a member of the College St. or not.
He truly treated everyone the same and that's just one reason we all loved him so much.
Jason, your dad is the first preacher that I remember as a child, sitting in church in Morgantown, WV listening to him teach about love, compassion, and forgiveness. Without a doubt he is part of the reason that the Christian faith is still a beautiful thing to me. Your family lived across the street from the church, and as children, during church picnics and while the grownups were talking, we would run back and forth from your house to the church grounds, happy and free, knowing we were part of a safe and loving community – I like to imagine that your dad is experiencing a similar freedom and joy now. As you write about your dad’s commitment to those struggling with addiction, his fervent empathy, his humility, and his commitment to racial equality, I could “see” the same Larry Locke that instilled Christ in me as a child. I am so grateful for your family and send you all my love as you reflect on your dad’s life.
MarkCaruth said…
What a joy and a privilege to have known my Brother, Larry Locke. Our Lord's words have never rung truer: "Well done, good and faithful servant!" Heaven is even sweeter now. Looking forward to that GRAND REUNION DAY!!!
Unknown said…
I've known Larry Locke ever since he landed at College Street when my grandfather, Foster Andrews, was an Elder. Larry was a good friend to the Andrews family, but as someone who knew him to work broadly throughout the community, I can say he was a good friend to Lebanon and Wilson County. He was an involved preacher and friend to anyone and everyone. Mild-mannered with a good sense of humor, he was a powerful force for his ability to listen, to help, and to lend a prayer.
Unknown said…
I have known Larry since I met my husband Kevin Smith which has been 25 years. We off and on went to church at College Hills for 14 years and got to Know Larry pretty well and He always made us laugh in his sermons and had a great messages. I want Carol to know how much I love her too as she helped me a lot when I was learning a lot about the Bible and helped me a lot when our kids were little. They both have came to our house for dinner, came to see us when both Breanna and Brooke was born. He did the most sweetest special wedding for us and made it so remember-able. I remember him telling us the story when he got lost in Progue and then the following year running a marathon there. I always looked at Larry has a over comer, and just so kind and compassionate. I am thinking of Carol and Jason and all who loved Larry. WE are so thankful to have so many special memories with Larry <3 lots of Love Kevin and Tuesday Smith

Popular posts from this blog

Love It or List It: We Sold Our Church Building

Galatians 4:1-7 & The Confusing Apostle Paul

Still Freezing in Abilene