Sheriff Allswell & Vacation Bible School

I had heard that the College Church puts on an amazing production for Vacation Bible School. People had told me that Doug Baker is fully in his element during the production of this week. Big work crews were legendary for their transformation of the auditorium into an aircraft carrier or some such unbelievable set to provide the backdrop.


Now, I have seen and experienced it for myself. All I can say is, "Wow!" What a fun week! Our auditorium has disappeared, only to be replaced by a Western frontier town. This could easily be the set for a college play -- it's that good! And our technical crew amazes me with all the sound effects & special effects such as a cannon to shoot candy out into the crowd. And the stations and classes are top-notch as the kids are challenged to think about where their home really needs to be. It's a tough concept for little ones, but I am certain they are learning something good this week as they see us adults having a blast as we bring them into an encounter with the living God.


I have been asked to play the role of Sheriff Allswell, a Barney-Fife type character who is primarily concerned with safety and comfort. Safety is one of the idols many Americans worship, so this is an interesting way to tackle this. I don't know if the kids understand all of this, but they can surely tell that we're having fun & that church is not a bad place.


And it truly has been a fun week! I'm getting to spend time with people that I don't yet know too well and making light of myself in the process.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love It or List It: We Sold Our Church Building

Galatians 4:1-7 & The Confusing Apostle Paul

Still Freezing in Abilene