Crafting a Congregational Narrative

People keep asking me, "Why are you so busy?" Truth is, I'm not THAT busy. Yes, life is hectic and stressful at the moment. But I have time for life's little pleasures -- like watching a few football games, riding my bike to the store with a son, or having dinner with friends. How can I complain? Answer: I don't.

But this is a busy season. Why? My doctoral work is coming to a close. My project is nearing completion. My thesis is due in early December. (By the way, this is a Doctor of Ministry or DMin degree, NOT a PhD -- hence the "thesis" rather than a dissertation.)

What is my project? The joy and blessing of a DMin is that it helps the researcher (me) go deeper into ministry rather than being pulled away from ministry. I am being forced/helped into a becoming a better minister -- though I'll let my congregation be the true judge of that! =) At any rate, the DMin helps me ask questions about my church, and the project helps us improve an area that is vital to our congregation.

With the guidance of our church elders, we chose a project that fits our church's current needs. My project involves the crafting of a congregational narrative. The intent of crafting such a narrative is to move the congregation toward a clearer sense of its identity and over time subsequently increase its capacity for partnering in the mission of God.

The need for crafting a congregational narrative stems from the unique situation of the College Church. The congregation began with a seemingly clear understanding of its story. This previous story funded a clear sense of identity and mission as the College Church grew to become the largest Church of Christ on the West Coast. The church’s original narrative eventually began to erode. With this loss, the College Church began to fragment and decentralize, and a numerical decline eventually ensued and continues to this day. God was still active in the congregation, however, and this project seeks to draw out those things we all appreciate about God's work in this body of believers.

The title of our project is "Crafting a Congregational Narrative for the College Church of Christ in Fresno, California." Story functions not only as a tool for comprehending one’s past. Story also creates capacity for future action. In an "aging" congregation like the College Church, reclaiming identity and reshaping a new future are not ancillary pursuits but are rather crucial to the effectiveness and health of the congregation. As God calls the church to join in his ongoing and continually unfolding story, my aim in this project is to help the College Church gain some appreciation for the scope of their ongoing work and shared life in Fresno, California.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love It or List It: We Sold Our Church Building

Galatians 4:1-7 & The Confusing Apostle Paul

Still Freezing in Abilene