Let Your Rain Fall Down

It's amazing how a little rain can lighten the spirits. Now, I know that not everyone rejoices when it rains. If you are in the midst of harvesting a crop, you're probably not too excited to see the wet stuff. But if you're like me, a lover of sprinkles, thunderstorms, showers, drizzles, mists, downpours -- basically all things wet that fall from the sky unfrozen -- then you love the sound and feel of this weather.

Amos Allen, my uncle who used to be a church planter in Kenya, once told me that he was walking through a field with a Christian man. He had just led a Bible study there in his village. As they were walking, it suddenly started to rain. Amos quickened his step so they could make shelter before getting soaked. The Kenyan stopped him and said, "Why do you not like the rain? Don't you know that rain is God's gift to us? We should enjoy it as much as sunshine." So they actually lingered and walked normally through the afternoon shower.

Comments like that have helped me appreciate God's cleansing and renewing rain. Life would be pretty unimaginable without it. We depend on it. I know that we have attempted to manage water to the point that we would almost rather get no rain so that we can water our plants on our schedule. I understand that. But I also understand that without the rain that falls here & that brings snow to the mountains, we would soon have no water left to manage.

In West Virginia where we used to live, they averaged 45 inches of rain a year. I think I took rain for granted there at times. Today, I'm basking in the beauty of this front that is moving through the Valley. Let Your rain fall down!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love It or List It: We Sold Our Church Building

Galatians 4:1-7 & The Confusing Apostle Paul

Still Freezing in Abilene