But it's a dry heat

Yesterday, we had a great gathering with the families of deacons, elders & ministers at the home of Gene & Linda Sue. Gene says they asked the police to patrol the neighborhood so there wouldn't be any gang violence while we were over. Thanks, Gene.

At any rate, the party was outdoors under the awnings and misters. We're accustomed to outdoor parties in West Virginia. I've sat on many a back deck, whiling the evening hours away. But sitting in the back yard in heat that reached 105 F is a bit of a new experience for me.

Sure, I grew up partly in middle Tennessee where the heat & humidity could be sweltering. It is possible I was too young to pay attention to such things, but I don't remember many outdoor parties. Plus, there were mosquitoes and ticks and the like.

Then I spent 4 years in central Texas. It got hot there, too, but again I don't remember outdoor social gatherings. Maybe I'm forgetting.

But here it's a dry heat, so folks seem to be okay with it. Yesterday, the kids were all in the pool most of the time. And we adults were under the misters or under the Roman latticework, drinking Rick Cummings' fresh lemonade or eating Lee Smith's glorious tri-tip. Still, I thought it was hot. But at least it's a dry heat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love It or List It: We Sold Our Church Building

Galatians 4:1-7 & The Confusing Apostle Paul

Still Freezing in Abilene