Addendum to Comment on Willimon

Someone asked for clarification about my last post. I referenced William Willimon's comments made to the annual gathering of CofC youth ministers. Willimon is a United Methodist bishop. For many years, he was pastor of the Duke Chapel and taught at Duke University. Now, he serves in Alabama as bishop.

I wasn't present when he made those comments. My information comes second hand. I would love to hear from someone who was present.

As it was conveyed to me, he told them not to leave Churches of Christ because we have something special. By that, I think he was referencing the counter-cultural heritage from which we have sprung. He may have also been touched by the a cappella singing as happens with many speakers from outside who hear us sing. Thoughtful non-CofCers are almost always blown away by the depth of our worship because of the voices we raise.

So, that's as much as I know. It would be interesting to hear more...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love It or List It: We Sold Our Church Building

Galatians 4:1-7 & The Confusing Apostle Paul

Still Freezing in Abilene