Battling the Heat

Okay, I know we were spoiled in May and June. Our air conditioner spent very little time in operation, and our PG&E bills reflected that. But now, the fun is over. The real Valley summer is here. It's 107 on our back porch. That's better than the 112 we experienced last summer when moving into our new house. But it's still brutal.

Speaking of heat, I hear that Europe is battling intense heat. Unlike Fresnans, they aren't used to temps in the 90s -- at least not sustained temps. Very few people have AC. I'm sure people are wearing as few clothes as possible.

When we used to live in Prague, many Czech women didn't need much of an excuse to wear as few clothes as possible. Sometimes that was good -- or at least good to the eyes. Sometimes that was painful to see. The guys sometimes didn't wear the most flattering clothing either, while others knew how to dress sharply.

Needless to say, I'm glad to have AC.

This will be a brutal week as I try to finish my doctoral prospectus. It lays the theoretical and methodological groundwork for my project, a project that I think will be a solid building block for us here at the College Church. The nice thing about a doctorate of ministry is that it is a degree for practitioners not researchers. Like an Ed.D., a D.Min. should ideally help a minister go deeper into his ministry setting rather than pull him off into the academy. I can attest that this program has made a huge difference for me. Next week, though, is about survival, not about making a difference.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love It or List It: We Sold Our Church Building

Galatians 4:1-7 & The Confusing Apostle Paul

Still Freezing in Abilene