Harry Potter, Witchcraft & Christianity, part 1

Someone posted a question last week. They wondered how I as a Christian preacher could justify going to see Harry Potter, a movie ostensibly about witchcraft. That person's mind may (or may not) be open to a conversation about this issue. Regardless, I view this as a good question.

Many people may wonder about this, and a few of them might actually read this blog. By the way, thanks to the two of you who do read it! ;-> I welcome the chance to think about it out loud. More than once in my life have I changed my mind on a subject just by talking it through. I welcome your thoughts on this, too.

I plan to tackle this in several pieces, although the conversation may evolve as it gets rolling.

1. A discussion of witchcraft in biblical times -- or what I know of it
2. The Book of Acts and its condemnation of witchcraft and two other "ungodly forces"
3. Missional questions -- i.e., Are we in the world but not of the world? What does that mean?
4. Should Harry Potter be off limits to Christians?

A quick word of caution. I like the sharing of ideas. I don't like the shoving of ideas down others' throats. Paul STRONGLY warns against this in Romans 14. Some things that are an abomination to one person are not to another person. Some things that are acceptable to one person are not to another person. Paul says very clearly, "The faith that you have, have as your own conviction before God" (Rom 14:22).

In other words, you are entitled to your opinion -- just keep it to yourself. The goal of Paul's admonition is to prevent us from condemning or injuring people who actually share our faith in God and our hope in the resurrection. Nothing is a greater abomination to God than when people of faith turn their guns on one another, metaphorically speaking. It destroys our witness to the world and injures many within the family of faith.

So these posts are only good if this is a conversation for the sake of mutual learning and sharing. But if this is not a conversation for you, then please abstain from reading the following posts. To put it more clearly, if your faith depends on Harry Potter being evil and ungodly, then you won't want to participate beyond today's post.  Or if you are absolutely certain that every person, no matter their convictions, should read or watch Harry Potter, then you would be best served by refraining from any comments.

If however you are at all open to listening and learning, then maybe we can all gain a better understanding of the above issues. I certainly hope to learn as I clarify my own thinking with you.

Comments

abby gaby said…
Hi! I recently concluded that the choice to read Harry Potter was a heart matter for Christians (http://myellowfeet.blogspot.com/2011/07/is-it-okay-for-christians-to-read-harry.html). But like you, I also find myself changing my mind about a subject after talking through it and reading my bible. I'm interested to read about your thoughts on this, especially when you mentioned the bible verse of being in the world but not of this world. Thanks!
Connie said…
Jason, I meant in no way as you put...for my question to be an accusatory question. I just wanted an honest answer from someone who I thought might be able to enlighten me on this. The scripture and what I said was soley to show you where my thinking was coming from. I was in no way trying to change your mind because I know that won't happen. I am looking forward to reading your post because having a black and white personality...I read something in the bible and it is what it is and there is no gray area about it. So even though we come from two different perspectives..I will be interested in reading what you have to say.

Popular posts from this blog

Love It or List It: We Sold Our Church Building

Galatians 4:1-7 & The Confusing Apostle Paul

Still Freezing in Abilene