Back "at home" in Fresno

Ah, it's great to be home. All thirteen of my nights on the road were restless. I had good beds to sleep in, comfortable pillows, decent temperatures and long, tiring days. But I still slept poorly. Some of it was perhaps due to adrenaline. My doctoral classes force me to process and prepare material every night. My mind is running at full speed all day, and you know how hard it can be to slow those thoughts down at night. Guess I should have picked up some yoga.

So it's great to be home. Even if it is a temporary home. Our rental house will no longer be ours after June 30. We have to move into our new house sometime between Saturday and Tuesday. We're thrilled that our new house is set to close on Thursday. Carpet will be installed on Saturday. Then we can go, go, go.

So it will be great to finally be at home. After 6 months of transition, we can finally start to put down some roots. The boys can actually invest in neighborhood friends. Julie & I can get to know the neighbors. We can learn the joys of owning a California home.

Where is my real home? Of course, those of us who follow Jesus are never really at home in this life. We put down roots, but we would all do well to remember that those roots are temporary. If our hearts are set on this life only, then we will spend our days collecting the wrong kind of treasure. "But set your sights on things above," we are reminded. Knowing that our home is with Jesus refocuses the activities of our days.

It's great to be home.

Comments

Barbara said…
Well, should be a busy weekend and VBS week, but I know it will be good to be "settled". Sorry I can't be there to help pack and unpack.

Popular posts from this blog

Love It or List It: We Sold Our Church Building

Galatians 4:1-7 & The Confusing Apostle Paul

Still Freezing in Abilene