Climbing Mount Kenya

I visited Kenya following my junior year of college. My aunt and uncle were missionaries among the Calenjins in the region around the major city of Eldoret. I spent about three weeks with them -- seemed like an eternity at the time, but in retrospect was such a drop in the bucket.

I have many memories from the trip, conversing with young Kenyan Christians and drinking chai in mud huts or under shade trees. We got to experience several touristy things as well, including a brief stay in Amboselli National Park. I'll share these stories some other time.

My uncle, Amos, proposed a climb up Mount Kenya. If my memory serves me correctly, he floated the idea before we flew over. He had wanted to do it & needed someone to go with him. You sign up (and pay of course) to participate in a guided climb.

For some strange reason I was reluctant to sign up. It's not considered a technical climb. In other words, you don't need any special mountain-climbing skills to hike it. But still, I said no. Not sure why. Just scared of too many unknown things, perhaps. But to this day I regret it. I'll likely never get another chance to climb one of Africa's tallest peaks.

They say you should live life with no regrets -- a saying that I find preposterous. Can you imagine how chaotic the world would be if everyone was always guided by impulse and passion rather than with some calculation and self-control? Still, perhaps there is a time to cut loose and take risks. If only we could see clearly when those times presented themselves.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Jason! Should happened to be surfing the internet and saw your blog. Great post here. Yes, if we lived by our passions all the time (or even sometimes) life would be chaos. On the other hand, you are right that there are times to take a leap of faith (as so aptly stated in Steven Curtis Chapman's song). Btw, are you the same Jason Locke that was campus minister at West Virgina University for 8 years? I have checked out the campus ministry website before. I am a student at Sunset International Bible Institute in Lubbock, TX right now and hope to pursue campus ministry in some form or fashion after finishing the preaching school in May 2010. God bless you Jason, your family, and this new ministry in Fresno, CA.

Popular posts from this blog

Love It or List It: We Sold Our Church Building

Galatians 4:1-7 & The Confusing Apostle Paul

Still Freezing in Abilene