Hosting the Folks

My parents have been here all week. It's their first trip to Central California. Many people, myself included, don't know the real face of California till they get a taste of the good folks of the Central Valley. They've enjoyed putting faces to the names that we've been talking about.

My parents live in Middle Tennessee. Lebanon to be exact. They moved there in 1977 and probably soon wondered where they would go next. Needless to say, God has used them there for longer than they might have planned.

My dad preached for the College Street (now College Hills) Church until his semi-retirement two years ago. That congregation was an influential, blue-blood church in a Bible-belt town, but it had been through a couple of scandals. Walking into a situation like that requires great patience and tact, and my folks probably thought about throwing in the towel more than once.

But God in His grace has nearly tripled the church. He has made it a refuge for hurting people while still honoring and maintaining space for the long-tenured members who now can rejoice that their church does so much good. My dad is the G. L. Johnson of Lebanon. He does more funerals than you can imagine -- many of them local people who aren't members at College Hills. God has used my folks for his glory in a place that most sane people would have avoided. Just goes to show you a thing or two about how God can work if we give Him the chance.

I praise God for my folks and their legacy. And I especially praise God for His mercy and faithfulness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love It or List It: We Sold Our Church Building

Galatians 4:1-7 & The Confusing Apostle Paul

Still Freezing in Abilene